super continent of Amasia - 200,000,000 hence

• Login to post a new forum topic.
John

Email userThis user's blog

super continent of Amasia - 200,000,000 hence

This was on the Mail on Line site today

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2098685/New-supercontinent-Amasia-form-Arctic-North-South-America-fusing-together.html

Comments please?????

John

John

“Civilisation exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” -  Will Durant

Gus Horsley

Email user

It's entertaining to

It's entertaining to hypothesise what the continental configurations will look like in 200 million years but what these projections show is a possible snapshot in time over a long complicated process and assume too much.

There's no guarantee that the continents are going to continue their current rate or direction of movement. Evidence from the past, eg the Variscan Orogeny, shows that there were several apparent changes of direction when Gondwanaland moved northwards with bits breaking off and ending up in unexpected places. If we had computer projections at the time looking forwards 200my, we in the UK would probably end up attached to Greenland as the Atlantic didn't exist in late Carboniferous times.

John

Greenland wasn't far off the

Greenland wasn't far off the coast of Scotland at one time.  I'd have to look up exactly when.

John

“Civilisation exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” -  Will Durant

John

geo_girl

I think just the fact that

I think just the fact that it's a link to the Daily Mail makes me want to cry (In my Household it's known as the Daily Fail)

I also would ahve thought that the Atlantic would have started closing in 200My so not sure why that's still a huge ocean.... 

It's great to speculate though Smiling face

Leah 

At first you Mafic I'm basicaly intrusive, but when you get to know me you'll realise I'm orthogneiss.

John

Personally I don't intend to

Personally I don't intend to lose any sleep over it, one way or another.  I suspect it won't have a great deal of affect on my life!!!!

John

John

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.